Baccarat has been around for centuries but for some reason only recently gained popularity. Nowadays it is one of the most popular casino games and the gaming industry experienced a Baccarat boom, with many High Roller having fun playing this game.
There must be a reason that this game is currently so popular, right? Of course, it’s the simplicity behind the rules of the game. In addition, the advantage of the bank is very small in this game, which allows players huge wins.
Basically, Baccarat is a game in which cards are compared against a dealer cards with the aim to achieve the highest possible score, just like blackjack. Who can do that, wins, easy. Okay, the game is not quite as simple, but from the perspective of a player, Baccarat is not particularly demanding, and a player has to worry about nothing other than the three types of bets that he can place.
Unlike blackjack, both the profit of the bank, as well as the player’s earnings in the cards may result in a profit for the player. The reason is that players can bet on both scenarios:
- Banker – The bank’s hand achieved a better result
- Player – the player’s hand achieved a better result
There is also a third option – a draw. Of course, this means that both sides are holding the same number of points on their hand. In Baccarat, hands have the following value:
- All number cards are worth their number, i.e. a cross-Two is worth two points and an eight of hearts is worth eight points
- Picture cards get zero points
- All aces are worth one point
The best result that can be reached with one hand is nine points. To calculate the points for a given hand in Baccarat, you must add the points of each card, only the digit is counted as a result. This number is the score for your hand.
You get two eights. To calculate we add the value of your two cards, so 8 + 8. The right digit of the result of this sum is your score. The value of two eights is 6, because 8 + 8 = 16 and the number that appears on the far right is 6.
Baccarat is a game that is not played in the classic sense against the bank. Bets can be placed by anyone who wants to join. The game begins when all players who want to play in the next round place their bets. There are three types of bets – Banker, Player or Tie (draw). Once all bets are placed, both sides (Banker and Player) alternately get two cards. Now the more complicated part comes – the drawing rules. A single round of Baccarat usually does not end with two cards, but to determine whether a third card should be drawn, the drawing rules are used:
The most important rule: if either the dealer or the banker has achieved a score of 8 or 9 (Natural), neither side gets a new card. If neither side has achieved a score of 8 or 9, further cards are given according to the following rules:
Rules for the player:
If the player has a score somewhere between 0 and 5, he gets a card. If the player has a score of 6 or 7, he gets a new card.
Rules for the banker:
The actions of the Bankers depend a bit on the player – when the player draws a third card, the banker needs to follow the player’s rules. A third card is drawn when the banker has a score between 0 and 5 points, while he gets a new card at 6 or 7 points.
- However, it is a little more complicated when the player receives a third card:
- If the player gets a 2 or 3, the Banker draws at 0 to 4 and gets a new card at 5 to 7
- If the player gets a 4 or 5, the Banker draws at 0 to 5 and at 6 and 7 the bank gets a new card
- If the player gets a 6 or 7, the Banker draws at 0 to 6 and gets a new card at 7
- If the player gets an 8, the Banker draws at 0 to 2 and gets a new card at 3 to 7
- If the player is holding an ace, a 9 or 10 is replaced, the Banker draws at 0 to 3 and gets a new card at 4 to 7
The house edge
Of course, baccarat is no exception in that the casino always has a home advantage and in average the Bank always earns more than the player. However, here lies the reason why this game is so popular – a low house edge. If you have some idea of numbers and statistics, you will know that a low house edge is good for the player. The exact house edge for Baccarat is different for the different bets. Here’s the overview of the different house advantages:
- Banker bet – 1.06% house edge
- Player bet – 1.24% house edge
- Tie bet – 14:36% house edge